I want to hold a session at SIF Unconference!

Cybermartial law, cyberlibel and cybercrimes: New frontier in fight for freedom

The Philippines' Supreme Court recently upheld a so-called Cybercrime Prevention Law which penalizes cyberlibel and gives it a higher, heavier and longer jail term, and raises the penalty for all offenses in law books if the offender used any ICT tool.

Dubbed as the country's response to modern crimes, the new law gives a chilling effect to citizens who use ICT for diverse purposes - creative and technological, political and personal.

Similar laws have been passed in Asia and are being pushed in more countries, purportedly using as a blueprint the European cybercrime convention to remedy technology-related threats on the economy. But the laws and pending bills produce overbroad results that endanger free expression, privacy, innovation, access and oppeness in the web, as well as offline.

Let's talk how cybercrime laws that supposedly protect the internet actually threaten the freedoms of people.

Envisioned panelists: Participants from Southeast Asia, involved in the campaigns against cybercrime laws

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tonyo CruzTonyo Cruz shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GayathryGayathry commented  · 

Would be happy to participate if you're looking for panelists. We are monitoring situation in Southeast Asia (SEAPA)

Feedback and Knowledge Base