I want to hold a session at SIF Unconference!

Germany: A safe haven for whistleblowers but still undermining digital freedom

During the last year Berlin has acquired the image of being a safe haven for whistleblowers. It has become the temporary or maybe even permanent home for digital rights activists from different countries who feel more comfortable to live and work in Germany.

Germany's digital rights movements probably added to the perception that Germany is a country that values digital freedom and the protection of internet users: a drafted bill to introduce online censorship never came through, data retention had to be stopped after a decision by the constitutional court, ACTA was stopped also due to massive protests in Germany (as well as many other countries, of course).

However, Germany has also just refused to invite Edward Snowden to testify for the parliamentary inquiry on mass surveillance, has diluted the new EU data protection reform and has shown hardly any activity to protect the people in Germany against spying by the NSA, GCHQ and other secret services.

This talk aims to shed light on the contradictory messages regarding digital freedom coming from a country with a lot of influence within the EU and beyond.

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)